Looking For Anything Specific?

How Not to Get Run Over by the Cancer Bus of Depression

How Not to Get Run Over by the Cancer Bus of Depression

 Let’s face it, ending our cancer treatment is the first step in a long, long journey. I wish I could say this is a happy situation, but I can't.

Among the many things cancer survivors experience is constant follow-up at our clinics, which is a constant reminder of what we have gone through. Well, some of us are out of this track because of the tangible concerns they have, or worse, we have no insurance to help pay for them.

But despite these ongoing reminders, many of us cancer survivors are experiencing periods of depression, as well as endless days of feeling that even though our cancer bus missed us It won't happen again after the first time. Our future looked bright now. Our hope is replaced by fear. We have taken it upon ourselves to examine our bodies and think that this is a trick that wants to betray us.
After all that we have been through, make no mistake: depression can be as real and as deadly as surviving. Dealing with them is important. It is easy for some to lose themselves, but some of us may need help. When I feel like my frustrated cancer bus is trying to rush me, I do the following to get out of its way: Look at it from the inside out I try to focus on the fact that I have survived pancreatic cancer for about nine years, when many do not see two, and few do not see five. Sadly, for many of us, survival is like winning the lottery, but we soon forget how fortunate we are to win. Maybe this goes back to a half full glass or an empty simile. I would suggest that we can teach ourselves to see our glass half full. If someone as critical as me could do it, I would say that almost anyone can do it. It is better to be thankful that our glass does not dry out in the bones compared to arguing about how full it is. I have found that of all the bad situations I face, there are always some people who suffer the worst. We need to be grateful for our status, not wanting to be someone else's. Understand that worrying about the future is a fool's errand None of us know what our future holds. Cancer is an indiscriminate killer. But we have more benefits than others because we have survived it. Cancer is no longer on my list of things that could kill me. I need to focus on the present and not worry about the future for which I have no control. Talk to a good friend I am fortunate to have an amazing friend, who a few years ago, took me to my sunny valleys for months. I am blessed to have him. Simply talking to him, and hearing my words escape from my mouth, helped me to realize that I was not alone in my journey. For me, nothing is as helpful as putting spoken words around what is going on inside my head. It forces me to think about my feelings. Doing this helps me discover how I can overcome my fear of death and leave much to be desired. If you do not have someone you trust who can leave you and tell you that you are a little scared, get one. Avoid feeling embarrassed Some people are raised in a family where acknowledging the need for assistance is considered a serious weakness. The custom of "bucking up butter cups" is still prevalent. Words like, ‘‘ Just deal with it. ’Or‘ It’s hard. ’”, Are said. Shame is something we all face but for some of us, it prevents us from telling our doctors what is happening or seeking help about it. Depression is not a shameful condition. Avoid feeling embarrassed. Tell the doctor what happened I know my mind can take a twist and run away with it. I go online and look for all the things that might cause a twinge and then, I settle for the worst reason. Sometimes just a few minutes talking to someone who has a license to make a medicine, maybe a test or two, can get rid of these serious conditions. But if we do not talk to our doctors, they will not be able to help us. Seek help Coping with cancer and surviving it is a task in itself. However, if you find dark clouds with a thunderclap hanging over you without hesitation, it may be time to seek help. There is no shame in this. The real shame is to gnash your teeth and grit your teeth. Many clinics have trained therapists in staff who specialize in treating cancer-related stress. If they do not have one for the staff, they know who is right in the local community. There is no need to let your depression bus get you down. For more information on cancer updates, research and education, don't forget to subscribe to CURE® newsletters here.

Post a Comment

0 Comments