Looking For Anything Specific?

I did the Gorge by bike and it’s the longest and most beautiful ride I’ve ever done

I did the Gorge by bike and it’s the longest and most beautiful ride I’ve ever done

 When I saw that there was a Pedal palooza ride from Portland to Multnomah Falls, I was immediately overjoyed.

Until recently, I did not think this was something anyone could do. I had very little faith in my athletic ability for the rest of my life - exercise was something I overlooked. I rode a bike and walked for practical reasons, but why was I wasting calories doing more?

However, when I started cycling a few years ago - and especially since I moved to Portland last year and then abandoned my car - I had an unexpected turnaround. As I cycled for miles, it became easier and more enjoyable to move my muscles, and suddenly I felt strong for the first time in my life. So I signed up for the ride, and yesterday I headed for Columbia River Gorge with a group of about 15 other passengers. In addition, I had faith that I would be able to do it and enjoy the process.
I met up with Willy, a friend of mine who had booked a ride, and we headed for the Gresham meeting place past Springwater Corridor. After connecting with the Pedal palooza team - led by the brave Shawn Granton of the Urban Adventure League - at the end of the blue line at Gresham, we headed for the Historic Columbia River Highway. Millions of years of geologic wonders, and here we are: a group of people who love cycling and are lucky enough to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. This scenic highway connects Stark Street to Stark St Bridge across the Sandy River (map), where I had my first great moment of jaw dropping. In fact, I was intrigued by the idea of ​​missing out on a whole party touring the Dabney State Recreation Area, and I believed that they were all too far behind me. the opportunity to see them again. But no worries - we quickly met and continued on our way. There was no rush. The weather was beautiful, the vegetation was amazingly green and the endorphins were kicking. And we were there to ride a bike. After stopping at Corbett Country Market, where I infused caffeine (some took a sample of pizza, ribs and beer offerings) we made an impression on the Portland Women's Forum (named after a group of women who bought the building in 1956 and gave a gift to the park department). and government entertainment for public use). I felt a little hurt from the inclination when we got to the viewing area, and I could have opened my mouth to complain if I had not looked up and seen the vision, which was so amazing that it was hard to look at. The Columbia River swells and turns until you can see it, surrounded by a forest of cliffs covered with trees, and seeing it in this place was worth all the cycling muscle pain I have ever felt in the past and will feel in the future. . Columbia River Gorge began its formation during the Miocene period more than 12 million years ago, when Cascades emerged from a series of volcanic eruptions. The real epicenter of the erosion was the end of the Cold War just 12,000 years ago, when the Columbia River flooded and forced its way through a ravine toward the Pacific Ocean, forming walls of steep ravines as it bursts open. Looking at this vision, I felt a part of nature. Millions of years of geologic wonders, and here we are: a group of people who love cycling and are lucky enough to live in one of the most beautiful places in the area. the earth. Thanks to the beauty that the combination works so well. Gorge extends from the confluence of the Columbia and Deschutes rivers to just east of Gresham, and Multnomah Falls is very close to its western end. The waterfall is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Pacific Northwest for good reason, but people who flock to its beauty in cars have caused problems. This year, the Oregon Department of Transport tried to ease traffic congestion and encourage people to use other modes of transportation to get to Gorge through the permit system. There is nothing I can compare it to as it was my first time cycling this route, but it seems to me that this permit system works very well. A lot of riding on the highway was fun and very low, and while it was busy as we approached the waterfalls, it still felt safe to ride the bike, especially if we had a group. We could look at the area and experience flying regularly down the green forests without much fear. One thing about cycling up and down hills for miles: it will make you hungry. When we arrived in Multnomah Falls, I bought some coffee and the benefit of an apple. Then I saw one of my fellow cyclists eating a chocolate-vanilla swirl ice cream cone, and I immediately rushed to eat an apple pie before exploring all my management options. But I did not dwell on it for very long: I bought an ice cream cone, and a large pretzel to fill it. And why not? Most of the people from the Pedal palooza group were going to camp for the night a little deeper in the Gorge, but Willy and I said goodbye and headed back west with still sugar and coffee. Getting home was a bit difficult but I put my bike in its very low gear and fixed my eyes up, and we passed.

Post a Comment

0 Comments